* Architecture + Photography: New York After the Storm by Iwan Baan
Posted by the editors on Wednesday, 7 November 2012
Architecture + Photography: New York After the Storm by Iwan Baan: “..this set of images by Dutch architectural photographer Iwan Baan shows the scene in New York over the past week as the city recovers from the effects of Hurricane Sandy that swept across Manhattan last Monday, cutting the electricity and flooding the streets and subways..Iwan Baan also photographed the city from the air, creating a striking photograph that made the cover of New York Magazine..The image shows part of the city in darkness, while the rest is is filled with light and colour. “It was the only way to show that New York was two cities, almost,” Baan told Poynter magazine. “One was almost like a third world country where everything was becoming scarce. Everything was complicated. And then another was a completely vibrant, alive New York.”..A week later the city is now getting back to normal, with power mostly restored, schools reopening and subways running again..Earlier this year Iwan Baan photographed a vertical slum in Venezuela for an exhibition that won the Golden Lion for best project at the Venice Architecture Biennale..” Excellent, as are most of Iwan Baan’s photos.. Original article includes a 21-image slideshow..
See some of our posts with photos by Iwan Baan:
- Architecture: Galaxy Soho by Zaha Hadid Architects
- Residential Architecture: Haus am Weinberg by UNStudio
- Architecture + Design: Dignifying Design
- Residential Architecture: Tsai Residence by HHF Architects + Ai Weiwei
- Residential Architecture: Guesthouse by HHF architects + Ai Weiwei
- Architecture: Wang Shu, 2012 Pritzker Prize Winner – An Architect’s Vision: Bare Elegance in China
- Residential Architecture: The FLOAT House – Make it Right by Morphosis Architects
- Residential Architecture: Observatory House by Gabriel Orozco and Tatiana Bilbao
image: Iwan Baan; article: Dezeen
This entry was posted on Wednesday, 7 November 2012 at 14:34 and is filed under Architecture, Architecture + Design, Awards, Contemporary Architecture, contemporary design, Cultural Architecture, Design, Designalog, Exhibitions, Landscape Architecture, lighting, Photography, Public Architecture, Public Facilities, Public Parks, Slide Shows, Urban Design. Tagged: Architecture, Blackouts, Design, Designalog, Dezeen, Dignifying Design, Galaxy Soho by Zaha Hadid Architects, Guesthouse by HHF architects + Ai Weiwei, Haus am Weinberg by UNStudio, Hurricanes, Iwan Baan, Manhattan, New York, New York City, New York Magazine, Observatory House by Gabriel Orozco and Tatiana Bilbao, Photography, Poynter magazine, Sandy, Slideshows, The FLOAT House – Make it Right by Morphosis Architects, Tsai Residence by HHF Architects + Ai Weiwei, Wang Shu 2012 Pritzker Prize Winner - An Architect’s Vision: Bare Elegance in China. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.